A Call for Advice from Experienced Moms
I love my kids, but there are days when being a mom is a punch in the gut. Parenting shows me how little I know. How can I set a good example when I struggle with the very things I need to teach my kids?
Other moms, do you feel the same way? Especially for those who now have grown kids . . . any words of wisdom to share? Any secrets of success? This is a call for advice from moms who have successfully navigated the tween and teen years. Any moms of grown children want to chime in?
Here is what I am struggling with right now. And I know there will be many more decisions and dilemmas as my kids get older.
The Infamous Cell Phone Dilemma
- 6th grader wanted a cell phone. She begged for one for about a year. Cried many tears. She wasn’t “cool” and was the only kid in her class without a phone. She made lots of promises, including doing chores to help pay for it.
- I read all the arguments for and against, but my husband and I ended up getting her a cell phone and gave her some basic rules on usage.
- I snoop on her phone. I know there are probably parents who disagree, but I paid for the phone and she is my kid in my house and I need to know what she is viewing and doing on the phone.
- I added NetNanny . . . not sure if that is the best tool, but I wanted something on the phone to restrict her ability to get on inappropriate sites.
- Last night I found out she was texting boys. Ugh! Nothing inappropriate, but one of the boys told her he wasn’t allowed to text girls and she has continued to text him. Double Ugh!
- She hasn’t been completely obedient with the rules my husband and I set (she is only supposed to use it for games or texting after she has done her homework and cleaned her room), but we haven’t been consistent with making sure she follows the rules. We’ve never really grounded her from the phone or taken it away.
So now my husband and I need to come up with a new game plan for the phone usage and rules.
Moms, I’m not looking for specific pros and cons on cell phones (I’ve read a million arguments for and against), but more high-level suggestions. I especially long for suggestions and encouragement from moms who have already raised preteens and teens.
- What is the best parenting advice you ever received?
- How did you guide your preteens and teens through relationships with the opposite sex?
- What is the best parenting advice you can give?
- Any suggestions on communicating with kids ages 12-18?
- How did you teach your kids to be wise in choosing friends in middle school and high school?
Moms, we need each other. For you moms with more experience, your wisdom is much-needed for us moms now entering the preteen years. It is daunting . . . and any insight you can share would be much appreciated!