October 6, 2016 Reading
- Ezra 7-8
- Luke 20
He had begun his journey from Babylon on the first day of the first month, and he arrived in Jerusalem on the first day of the fifth month, for the gracious hand of his God was on him. For Ezra had devoted himself to the study and observance of the Law of the Lord, and to teaching its decrees and laws in Israel. Ezra 7:9-10 NIV
There, by the Ahava Canal, I proclaimed a fast, so that we might humble ourselves before our God and ask him for a safe journey for us and our children, with all our possessions. Ezra 8:21 NIV
So we fasted and petitioned our God about this, and he answered our prayer. Ezra 8:23 NIV
- Ezra had devoted himself to the study and observance of the Law of the Lord and to teaching its decrees . . . and the gracious hand of God was with him.
- Ezra petitioned God with prayer
- Ezra called for the Israelites to humble themselves before God
- Ezra and the Israelites fasted
- God answered their prayers
I am fasting (and praying) today for my oldest daughter’s heart procedure tomorrow (on October 11) and the salvation of a loved one.
Lord, please give me the strength and discipline to fast and to bring my prayers throughout the day. Please listen to my prayers. Hear my cries for my daughter and loved one. Please help us to cast our fears on you and give my girl strength. Please guide the doctors and nurses and may the surgery be successful.