September 27 Reading (Yes, I’m already behind in posting!)
- Zechariah 4-6
- Luke 12
For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Luke 12:23 NIV
But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well. Luke 12:31 NIV
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Luke 12:34 NIV
Last Sunday at church the topic was on storing up treasure in heaven, not on earth. So the timing of this reading is perfect. If you want to hear the sermon click here.
This is actually a journey I’ve been slowly traveling for the past year or so. Several things:
- I want to literally “honor the Sabbath”. No work-work, no housework. Which means I no longer have two days to clean the house (Saturday and Sunday). And to be honest, I can’t even get my house clean in two days.
- Lifestyle change: Over the past twelve months God has led me on a journey of making a career change. I walked away from a lucrative (though high-stress) company that I owned and joined the non-profit arena. So, from a practical standpoint, I’ve drastically minimized my income. We are now living paycheck to paycheck and something has to go. We are planning to put our house on the market in the next six months. Downsizing!
- I started a purge this past summer based on The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo. It is far from done and the process has been far from perfect, but it is getting closer.
- Several years ago Joshua Becker spoke at our church about “becoming minimalist” and it was very thought-provoking. I’ve started following his blog.
- With my new job I traveled to West Africa this summer. They don’t have access to clean water. Or basic medical care. Or electricity. And yet they are singing and dancing and smiling. Bottom-line, these people are happy with so little and I’m usually complaining though I have too much stuff. And $1 in the U.S. = $500+ in Togo, West Africa. My money is much better spent on something that can save a child’s life than on the latest dust-gathering pretty knick-knack for my shelf. For more about my trip, click here.
This weekend: Take at least one bag to the Goodwill and spend at least an hour purging, not just cleaning.
Lord, please show me where you want me to store up Treasure in Heaven. Open my eyes to where you want me to serve and where you want me to spend the resources you have given me.